Wednesday, May 12, 2004

 
Confusion
It seems that there is some confusion around my work status, which is fair
as I don't comment on it all that much, so here goes. I have been working in
various capacities and levels of permanentness at a research company for a
while (read feb 03). However the sad but true news is that the company is
going to change format, from ongoing to something else, likely some sort of
hibernation state from which it may recover in 6 months or so. As an aside I
was seriously thinking of (and attempting to) get a different/new job
anyway, but am now at the point where my job is effectively going to cease
to exist. Nothing like your job leaving you to move things along.

The new job search has been a little quiet so far, but the tender work (see
previous somewhere) is very welcome and shaping up well. I am still doing
some of the various other parts for my current job, director, such as urging
directors meetings etc, but am mainly doing the tender at the moment, as is
only for three weeks so I need to move it to meet the deadlines (and maybe
get more stuff?)

The tender / testing work will see me going to a variety of the government
offices around town. Today I was in the warldorf building. The reception is
something else! It is huge and has the spacey feel of a modern art gallery.
No picture I'm afraid, but I get to go back there again at some point so
maybe. Just to give an idea it is in the courtyard formed in the centre of
the building by having a central open space stretching from the roof down
about 5 floors, with plants in large built-in tiled boxes with white stone
chips. yes...

On a related note I think that government has too much money. Aside from the
reception, and then the leather office chair, all the black, new, ibm
desktops were also a bit of a give away. I don't know if this is actually
good, new pcs = more efficient ICT enabled government, or bad, lots of money
spent, partly my money!

More progress reports as I move around town...