Sunday, July 31, 2005
News
I went up to Icon for the first time ever this year. Having watched W go off for 9 years I finally decided to go with to number 10. Mitigating factors include enough funds to fly and hire a car – always a good thing.
Bits that stand out: managing to find our way and not get lost; supreme lack of Gauteng cold weather; [In fact sitting out in the sun was great], total lack of anything to do work with (all left at home on purpose).
Surprises – had totally forgotten about static electricity and what this does to my hair when I brush it. I can get it to stand up to about ear level from just a quick brush. I am reliably ensured that this looked very much like an eighties hair do. (no pictures!)
Of the ‘con itself. Everything seemed very well run. Things were not as late as I heard they could be and actually most things ran on time. I managed to meet a whole bunch of people that I have been hearing about for a long while, watch way too much manga [1] and buy my first ‘con coffee mug. Survived, food wise, very well off the local spar, which was discovered to stock strawberries, cooked pumpkin and pecan pie.
[1] really cute series about a guy whose girlfriend is his right hand – his hand actually transforms into mini-girl!
Coming back hit a whirlwind of work. Echo’s reached to now, but have decided that by Monday all will be done. Sigh, that means work bleeding into the weekend again. Ah well.
My maths pupils all had a holiday and so gave me one as well. They are coming back and I think I will be back to normal by next week or so (I have three in total, once a week each)
I have been visiting my Uncle. J in hospital most nights. It tends to put a sombre note on the day and throw into relief that which is important and that which is not. Getting stressed about work is not. Unfortunately the doctors were not able to help and he left us on Tuesday. Time is very short.